- Ask students to look around them to see if there is anyone who doesn’t have a partner.
- This will often require students who are sitting alone to move seats.
- Walk around the classroom and point out “it looks like someone near you doesn’t have a partner could you two ask them if they want to join your group?”
- This avoids awkwardness for a student who doesn’t know anyone to ask to be included in a group.
- More members of the classroom become partners in creating a welcoming classroom atmosphere.